|News and Announcements|
Monday, January 13, 2020 3:44 PM
Principals, assistant principals and vice principals are required to complete a Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE)-approved Principal Induction Program and convert from an Administrative I to an Administrative II certificate within five years of initial appointment as a principal, assistant principal, or vice principal in commonwealth public schools.
There are two exceptions:
• Administrative (Type 78) certificates that are valid for 99 years require completion of the Principal Induction Program only if initially hired in a public school as a principal, vice, or assistant principal position on or after January 1, 2008.
• Administrative Provisional I holders who complete PIL Induction as the program requirement for certification must complete the induction and testing requirement and convert to an Administrative I within two years of employment.
Who must fulfill the requirements?
• All persons issued an Administrative certificate prior to January 1, 2008, but who are employed for the first time as a principal or assistant/vice principal in a commonwealth public school on or after January 1, 2008.
• All persons issued an Administrative I certificate on or after January 1, 2008 who are employed as principal or assistant/vice principal in a commonwealth public school.
• All persons hired on an Administrative Provisional I certificate who complete PIL Induction as the program requirement for certification must complete a PDE-approved Principal Induction Program within two years from the date of employment in the position.
Administrative Provisional I holders who complete an approved Administrative certificate program as their program requirement must complete the program and testing within two years; but have five years from the date of hire in which to complete the PIL Induction.
Please refer to the Pennsylvania Inspired Leadership (PIL) Continuing Professional Education Requirements Reminder Penn*Link for information regarding the Act 45 professional development requirements. Please use this link www.education.pa.gov/Act45PIL to locate the document.
Please note that all administrators serving in PIL-covered positions, including those working to fulfill the Principal Induction requirement, must complete continuing professional education hours in approved courses.
This requirement begins on the date of service in a PIL-covered position. The school/district PIMS staffing report will inform PDE/PERMS of the administrator’s change to a PIL-designated title; however, the requirement may not be visible on the PERMS record for several months.
Where to find additional information:
PDE Certification Information - TIMS Website
For additional information, please contact:
Carla Wilson, PA Inspired Leadership Program